Westpac and Amazon partner to deliver banking services on Alexa
Major bank Westpac has been working with ecommerce giant Amazon to install banking services on Alexa for Australian consumers.
Named Westpac Banking Skill, the project has seen the development of a range of functions such as account balance updates and announcements of recent transactions, while it also enables users to receive Westpac’s finance industry news bulletins.
The two companies will continue to work on increasing functionality as the cooperation develops.
- Commonwealth Bank, Westpac and NAB enter mobile payment joint venture
- Westpac targets Android approval after Apple bans messaging payments app
- On the road to cashless? Inside Australia’s innovating payment scene
- Read the latest issue of Business Chief, Australia edition, here
George Frazis, Chief Executive, Consumer Bank at Westpac, said: “We know our customers want a seamless banking experience that fits with their needs and complements their lifestyles.
“As more people adopt innovative voice-activated technologies in an increasingly mobile world, we are excited to be one of the leaders in this space providing secure, easy to use, cutting edge banking services for our customers.”
Customers cannot, at least for now, transfer funds or make payments via Alexa.
However, this is one of several recent digital projects currently being explored by the major bank. In November, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac and National Bank of Australia (NAB) announced they are teaming up to develop a new payment app that enables free instant payments to consumers and small businesses, regardless of who they bank with.
Westpac also launched a new range of wearable payment devices around the same time, in response to research that Australia has the highest contactless payments penetration in the world.
- Apple, Walmart bet big on India, but is Amazon scaling back?Corporate Finance
- Why Amazon bosses are still upbeat after US$2bn Q2 lossLeadership & Strategy
- Amazon pushes into education with India academy platformDigital Strategy
- Sonata Software: Overcome organisational myopia to achieve true digital transformationLeadership & Strategy