Alibaba in US$2bn joint venture to expand Russian operations

Chinese ecommerce group Alibaba has announced a joint venture that will see it expand its reach in the Russian market
 
Bloomberg reported that the JV is worth around US$2bn.
 
Alibaba will continue to own 48% of AliExpress Russia, while the remaining 52% will be split between Mail.ru, the Russian state’s Russian Direct Investment Fund, and mobile operator Megafon.
 
Russia has been developing closer business ties with China in light of ongoing US and EU sanctions.
 
Megafon itself will be trading its 10% stake in Mail.ru for a 24% share of AliExpress Russia.
 
Mail.ru has 100mn clients across its various online properties, according to Reuters, and it is hoped that this will augment AliExpress’s userbase and development.
 
A benefit to Mail.ru has already been seen in a jump in share value upon the JV’s announcement.
 
See more:
 
 
Analysts at Renaissance Capital commented on the prospects of both AliExpress and Mail.ru, saying the “deal gives Mail a stake in what we believe is the best-placed platform to capitalize on ecommerce in Russia”.
 
Reuters noted that “e-commerce has grown rapidly in Russia in recent years, spurred by improved internet access, with turnover exceeding $14 billion last year, one third of which were cross-border deals”.
 
It added that “the JV also plans to invest into another business together with Mail.ru Group, including foodtech”.
 
Share

Featured Articles

People Moves: Pine Labs, Deutsche Bank, McKinsey, Fortinet

Pine Labs names former Amazon exec as chief people officer, Fortinet hires government affairs leader for APAC, McKinsey India poaches Accenture HR exec

Dialight envisions a world of industrial safety with LEDs

Reliance on inefficient lighting technologies are not only harmful to the environment, but also increase injury risk and cost

Top 10: Must-see speakers at TECH LIVE LONDON 2022 event

Technology leaders from IBM, Oracle, Vodafone, JP Morgan, Accenture and the US Space Force are among the 80-plus speakers at upcoming TECH LIVE LONDON

Vodafone Business cyber leader Kawalec speaks at Cyber LIVE

Leadership & Strategy

Twitter timeline – how Musk pulled off a hostile takeover

Leadership & Strategy

Top 10 Asia restaurants, from Tokyo’s Den to Bangkok’s Sorn

Leadership & Strategy