Edify completes funding for solar projects following investment from BlackRock

By Thierry Boudan

Renewable energy company Edify has announced that it has successfully sourced the financing required to undertake the construction and operation of two solar farms in North Queensland, Australia.

The funding has come from US based fund management specialist BlackRock. The investment marks the firm’s first time foray into the Australian renewable energy market with its 90% interest in the solar farms that combined will cover 590 hectares, with Edify retaining the remaining 10%.

See Also:

“We are delighted to have closed another large utility scale solar PV financing transaction and to be a significant contributor to the renewable energy market in Australia,” said Edify Energy Chief Executive, John Cole.

“Partnering with BlackRock Real Assets, and their first investment into the Australian renewable energy market, is a real coup for Edify and is a major step forward towards mainstreaming solar renewable power in Australia.

“With a pipeline of projects under development, we look forward to playing a meaningful part in the decarbonisation of the Australian energy sector.”

The building of both farms is set to commence in September of this year, with expectations that the combined energy generated from the projects will be enough to power 73,000 homes.

“We are very pleased to continue our strong relationship with Edify Energy to deliver these two large-scale solar energy projects generating a combined 240MWp,” said RCR Tomlinson CEO Paul Dalgleish, with the company having been entrusted with the construction.

The successful financing and planned works marks a significant step in the sustainability of region that is more well renowned for its mining and coal projects. 

Share

Featured Articles

Hybrid live event shaping the future of Sustainability & ESG

Sustainability LIVE London returns for a two-day, multi-track conference programme featuring inspirational ESG speakers, debates and discussions

Nine must-attend sustainability events for business leaders

From London to Abu Dhabi, Singapore to San Diego, these sustainability-focused events are designed to help business leaders action their ESG goals

Daniel Weise of BCG on new supply chain and procurement book

Daniel Weise, global leader of Boston Consulting Group’s procurement business line, on the timely publication of his new book, Profit From The Source

Attract and retain talent with flexible working and benefits

Human Capital

Nurturing the next generation of women leaders in Africa

Leadership & Strategy

5 Mins With: Cybersecurity expert Ariel Parnes of Mitiga

Technology